Java Programming: From Problem Solving to Program Design: Chapter 3: pg112 – 118

Courtney M.- Please use this space to paraphrase the key points to the reading.  Everyone else should comment, and add to Courtney’s post.  Everyone will be taking their turn at beginning this dialog.  I’m just picking on Courtney first. Please complete your comments by Tuesday, you will be given another reading assignment Wednesday.

20 thoughts on “Java Programming: From Problem Solving to Program Design: Chapter 3: pg112 – 118

1. This is a great use of blog space–Court, realize that you may be read by students across the nation who need your help on this subject. That means you have to do a really good job of writing–no pressure. I’m looking forward to reading your post and the accompanying comments. Make sure you list a heading with the topic so that those of us not in the class know right away what it is we’re reading.

2. Thank you Mrs. Moritz.. I will try my hardest to explain to non-computer people what I’m talking about.. And I’m sorry if things are spelt wrong or my grammar is incorrect, It is kind of hard to write professional on here when I am so use typing thru AIM.

**My Responce to Objects and refernece variables Pages 112-118 in the text.

In this chapter is pretty much explains how to declare variables, where they are held in memory and how to connect the memory to the object declared.

They also show different ways of declaring things. For example;

String fish;
    fish=”Goldfish”;

is the same as

fish= new String(“Goldfish”)

As you can see, I used the operator New. New is a operator that helps us declare things in an easier way.

The chaper also explains about memory location. When you declare something it is assigned to a speical spot. The spots are defined using numbers.

ex. String fish could be equal to spot number 5800
    when you declared what “fish” is equal to, that reference will be placed into spot 5800.

If you were to declare another thing, after fish=”Goldfish”; and you were to write fish=”Parrot Fish” another slot would be created for “Parrot Fish”.

I’ll try to demostrate this using non-computer langauage.
    If I were to get two boxes and I put a book in one and a pizza in the other, they both contain different objects. If I were to say, ” My favorite ( this would be the variable) is in box number 1. Than Favorite would be equal to book. However, If I than changed my mind and said Favorite is in box number 2, favorite would be equal to pizza. However, notice that there is still another box containing a book, its just not assigned to my favorite spot. I hope that made somewhat sense to everyone.

Last year in computer science, Mrs. Furman helped us remember what was where by drawing boxes and arrows. It would be kinda hard to explain on here, but I’m sure we will be doing it in class very shortly ( unelss you already have while I have been gone). I highly recommend drawing boxes for every problem that you come across. Diagrams are VERY helpful in this class

Now its time to talk about Methods. They pretty much are commands telling variables what to do. Each method is pre-written. Some are already done and some we can write. For example, if you wanted a dice to roll you could write. d.roll(); but you would have to write the roll method before inorder to use it. There are so methods that the computer has in memory. You have to import them though, I believe which we will learn later. One example of a method already done is Math.pow That method would tell the computer to find the x power of a number.

Well, thats an over view on the chapter. I may be wrong on some things, these are difficult concepts!! But Mrs. Furman will correct me and I hope I was some help to everyone! And Mrs. Moritz I hope your not 100% lost. haha.

3. Nice job–may I suggest that you construct your comment in Word with spell check and then copy/paste into the comments section. That’s how I make sure I’m spelling error free on my blog. Your content is good, so why let anyone be distracted by spelling errors?

4. Good job Courtney, one thing i believe should be mentioned is that in order to use predefined methods we must know three things:

1. The name of the class containing the method.

2. The name of the pacakage containing the class, and import that package.

3. And of course the name of the method and the number of parameters it takes and the types of parameters. It is also important to know the return type.

Overall job well done Courtney, I liked your examples.

5. I still don’t understand much in this class but courtney and jordan seem to know what they’re talking about maybe i will to someday i hope i start understanding these terms more but courtneys description seemed very informative and somewhat easy to follow for anyone who knows the basics to java i myself am still learning basics…

6. Miss Bud, Please get notes from someone from the classes you’ve missed and do the reading. Everything that Courtney talks about is illustrated in both the reading and notes.

7. Good job Court. You sound like you have been in computer science before.
    – a way to force the computer to execute “garbage collection” is by typing: System.gc90;
    -javas predefined classes contain multiple methods that serve different tasks. such as Math.pow or Math.sqrt where both are in the math class but the methods pow and sqrt accomplish different tasks.

8. I like how you bulleted each term or new subject area. Your notes were easy to follow and clear. I do agree with Mrs. Mortiz about the spelling though, i do get confused with miss spelled words. I think your skills in note taking were aquired by Mrs. Furman, its structured the same way, but what do you expect after 4 years with her as a teacher. lol

9. Mrs Mortiz.. yes Mrs. Furman did tell me to do that, and well I just kinda didn’t. But it is a good idea and I will do it in the future

10. Courtney great job!!

Some important things I got out of the reading are:

1) That through classes we can declare reference variables of a class type and then assign and store things in that reference variable.

2)That through methods they are only activated when called.

In this chapter a lot of the terms are important and a good reference for future use. this chapter also gives a little forsight when it uses the Math class. The Math class was a fun chapter.

Great job Courtney!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Good job Courtney! Your summary of the chapter really helped me make a little more sense of it all, even though I am still a little bit confused with all of the concepts. I don’t understand why you need certain spot numbers to store data, and how do you know what spot number to use? I am very confused when it comes to some of this, even reading the chapter is like trying to dicipher a secret code. So, needless to say I don’t have anything to add to your summary. It did however clear up a little confusion. I especially liked your example with the pizza and the book. Overall I liked your summary better than what the book had to say! Good job Courtney!

12. Well now when everyone else is chosen to do a summary of the reading people will expect something to this quality. That was unfair for you to set such high standards Courtney, but we’re in a college level class so we gotta get used to and deal with it. Anyway I haven’t taken any computer sience courses before, I’m one of the few kids who hasn’t in this class, and for me this is all entirely new. I don’t have anything to add to your summary but it did help to put some things about the memory and storage right for me. Thanks.

13. Alex,
    You do not need to know the spot number. They are automatically assigned when the objects are created, based upon where the computer has space available. The important part of this section was to express the difference between how primitive data (int, double, char, boolean) are stored (directly linked to the identifier) and how objects are stored (with the identifier not storing the object, just the map of where to find it).

I hope that someone will explain the difference between static and non-static methods. This was a vital part of the reading that was left out. You all have been too nice to Courtney. You should looking for things that she has left out, and filling in those blanks. Jordan is up next, don’t be so nice to him!:)

14. You did a good job, better than I will be able to do. I am also one of the rookie newcomers to this class. The difference between static and non-static I believe is that static is methods that are contained in a class definition but exist and can be accessed without creating an instance of the class. While non-static is a method where the values belong to a unique instance of the class.

15. I am new to this class and had no idea what was expected of me. I had no idea how confusing all of this was going to be. I am learning a little each day but it is a very slow process. The reading confussed me a lot. But after reading what courtny wrote it shed some light on this subject. But I still have a lot more information to absorbe before i fully understand what is going on.

16. If you are having difficulties understanding, please use this space to post questions about the reading, so that I and your classmates can help you have a clearer understanding. That is what we are all here for. I’m glad that you feel that the summary helped, what else can we do to help?

17. Pingback: G-Town talks » We don’t need no thought control.